Tuesday, October 16, 2007

An Intro

Let me throw it out there right from the get go, I'm a cop. So all of my postings will be coming from a cop. This means all of you John Moorlach supporters can either stop reading this because you will discount everything I say or you can sit with an open mind and read what I write and then make your own decision. Hopefully the rest of you will do just that, read it and make up your own mind.

I will give you some history on myself. I have lived most of my life in Orange County, California. I was raised by two Democrats who said the biggest mistake of their political life was voting for LBJ instead of Goldwater. We went to church every Sunday and ate dinner together every night.

My first real job at sixteen was working in a grocery store. To work there I was forced to join a union and I realized I didn't really care for them. I found in return for my union dues I got no benefits other than seeing a portion of my check go to the union. This instilled in me a great distrust of unions and I believed they were there only there to provide an income for the union leadership. At eighteen I willfully registered for the draft and to vote as a Republican.

After two years of college I joined the military to see the world and gain some life experience. The world that I got to see was a base in a state I wouldn't send your mother in law to. That was OK, we had a deal, they would allow me to join and I would go where ever they sent me, after all a deal is a deal, right? After my four year enlistment was up I decided the military wasn't for me and went to work in the private sector.

I went to work for a large commercial real estate developer and was fairly content. My dad thought my job was risky and talked me into going to work for the government because of the "job security". That job lasted a short time when I was enticed to return to my private sector job. Who needs job security when you are making great money?

Well, the commercial real estate market started to go south and everyone was looking to see where the ax was going to fall. So instead of soldiering on and getting whacked I started looking for a job. Low and behold there was a want ad for cops and I thought to myself "self, that would be kind of a interesting job for a few years". So I went down filled out an application and went through the process.

At the time I was thinking, "I'll do this for a few years until I figure out what I want to do with myself". The academy was though but at that age I was up for the challenge. After graduating I found the more I did the job, the more I enjoyed it. Well with a wife, a few kids and a house payment or two later and I'm still at it.

I knew I wouldn't get rich doing this but I listened to my Dad who had told me the first time I went to work for the government, "With a government job you will never get rich but as long as you do your job you will get a paycheck, decent benefits and a retirement". So with that in the back of my mind I stayed with it and for the most part it has been true.

There have been times when I could have walked away from it for different reason but something always kept me at it. I'll go into that later on.

So why am I writing this? What I hope to relay to you is the story that is not getting out. Stay tuned.................

No comments: